Insurance Coverage

At Coastal Physiotherapy & Sports Rehabilitation, we are happy to save you time by providing DIRECT BILLING to the insurance providers below. Please click on the links for more information regarding each type of coverage, and please feel free to contact the clinic if you require more information.

WorkSafeBC (WSBC):

I was injured at work, am I covered by WorkSafeBC?
For all work-related injuries, WorkSafeBC will pay for your initial visit as long as your claim is registered with WorkSafeBC and you have a claim number. Further physiotherapy treatment may be covered after your claim is approved. A referral from your doctor is not necessary. You must ensure that you seek treatment from a physiotherapist who has a contract with WorkSafeBC to treat Injured Workers. On approved claims, there is no fee for service.

After an injury you must:

  1. Report your injury to your employer.
  2. Seek medical attention for your injury as soon as possible. Be sure to tell your doctor that your injury is work-related.
  3. Report your injury to WorkSafeBC as soon as possible:
    1. If you miss any time from work, you must notify the Teleclaim Contact Centre (1-888-WORKERS).
      1. You may be asked by a representative to complete a Worker’s Incident and Injury Report
      2. or an application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease Form 6.
    2. If asked to do so, it is important that you do so and submit it as soon as possible.
  4. Book your initial physiotherapy appointment, and notify the physiotherapy clinic that your injury is work related.

Coastal Physiotherapy has an approved contract with WorkSafeBC to treat Injured Workers.

Here is a link to the WorkSafeBC Intake Form we require you to fill out and bring with you to your first appointment at Coastal Physiotherapy.

Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC):

I was injured in a motor vehicle accident (MVA), am I covered by ICBC?

No matter who is responsible, if you’ve been injured in a crash, you have access to pre-authorized (core) treatments, including Physiotherapy and Registered Massage Therapy. There is no need for an initial doctor’s referral if the accident is recent and/or you have not had any previous treatment.

At Coastal Physiotherapy, we direct bill ICBC on your behalf, provided you have an ICBC claim number.

ICBC has implemented a new Health Care Funding Model for accidents occurring after APRIL 1, 2019. For Physiotherapy, ICBC patients are pre-approved for 25 visits within a 12-week period from the date of their accident. For Registered Massage Therapy, ICBC patients are pre-approved for 12 visits within a 12-week period from the date of their accident.

Please visit the ICBC website for more information.

Medical Services Plan (MSP):

Can I Pay With MSP (Medical Services Plan) Premium Assistance?
If you are neither visiting a physiotherapist for an injury or condition that is work-related nor motor vehicle accident-related, you may have the option to pay by MSP (Medical Services Plan) Premium Assistance.

According to the BC Ministry of Health, over 1.2 million British Columbians receive MSP premium assistance of between 20 and 100 per cent of their premiums. Over 800,000 pay no premiums at all, with 37 per cent of BC seniors receiving some kind of premium assistance in 2012**.

For MSP beneficiaries receiving premium assistance, MSP will contribute $23 per visit for a combined annual limit of 10 visits each calendar year towards: physiotherapy, chiropractic, massage therapy, naturopathy, acupuncture, and non-surgical podiatry*.

The clinic you attend will be able to check your Care Card and confirm in advance whether you qualify as an MSP beneficiary. A user fee may be charged to the patient and is the responsibility of the patient. Fees are determined by the clinic.

Questions about eligibility, extra charges or reimbursement for insured services should be directed to Health Insurance BC.

Medavie Blue Cross (DND, DVA & RCMP):

I am a member of the DND, DVA or RCMP, can you direct bill Medavie Blue Cross on my behalf?
Yes, we are happy to directly bill Medavie Blue Cross on your behalf for members of DND, DVA or RCMP, so no payment is required from you. Please contact our office for more details.

Private Health Insurance:

Coastal Physiotherapy & Sports Rehabilitation is pleased to offer online DIRECT BILLING for Physiotherapy and Registered Massage Therapy (RMT) for extended health carriers listed above.
Availability of this service is dependent on your carrier and/or plan. Please note that all treatment fees are the responsibility of the patient. If online direct billing is not available you will be asked to pay for your visit up front and we will provide you with a receipt which you can submit to your extended health carrier for reimbursement. If the full cost of the visit is not covered by insurance, you are required to pay the remainder of the cost at the time of the visit. More insurance companies we can direct bill are being added as they opt in, so if you do not see your company listed above, please call us to inquire.

Special Notes for Insurances above:

  • Sunlight Financial (* With exception of Policy 55555)
  • Desjardins (* Payer to claimant only)
  • Medavie Blue Cross (includes Department of Veterans Affairs, Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP)

Direct Billing FAQ’s:


What do I need to bring to the first visit?

  • Your extended benefits card with policy number and member ID
  • Doctor’s referral, if required by your policy

How do I know how much I am covered for?

You can learn the details of your coverage by contacting your extended health carrier or from your plan administrator.

What if my visit is partially covered by my extended health carrier?

We can still bill your carrier! If your visit is partially covered we will bill the covered amount to the carrier and ask that you pay the balance of your visit at the end of each treatment.

Can we coordinate benefits?

At this time, we can bill 1 (one) third party carrier per visit (eg: 1 Extended Health Carrier or ICBC or MSP). Coordination of benefits is not available.

Do I need a doctor’s referral?

We do not require a doctor’s referral however some insurance plans do require one. Please check with your extended health carrier to learn your plan requirements.

What if I have an open ICBC, Worksafe or other insurance claim?

If you have an open insurance claim we cannot bill your visit to your extended health carrier if it is related to the open claim. You will need to pay for the treatment and seek reimbursement from your carrier.

What if my claim is denied?

If your visit is denied for online direct billing we ask that your balance is paid in full at the end of each treatment. The front desk staff will advise you if your claim has been denied before you leave. Please note: Some plans have restrictions that do not allow for online direct billing. To check if you are eligible for this service please contact your extended health carrier.